Thursday, December 10, 2009

Needles and Pins

I had my first labor induction acupuncture treatment yesterday. I certainly didn't expect immediate results, but I guess part of of me was secretly hoping for some really strong contractions or something. Nada. I'm going back tomorrow and as many times as I can squeeze in next week in hopes that it will have some sort of effect.

After doing a little investigation on the internet, it seems that acupuncture really just has the same effect as all the other homeopathic/natural things I've been trying, i.e. it stimulates the production of prosteglandin and oxytocin to help soften the cervix and prepare the body for labor. The baby still has to be ready to come for it to have any effect, or as the acupuncturist said, "when the fruit is ripe, it fall from the vine." Oh well.

While I'm happy Sam is excited, his impatience does nothing to ease my own. And my mother will be here in a week, which is adding a bit to my anxiety as well since I'm not exactly what we're going to do together other than wait for the baby to come. If I didn't feel so much like my pelvis was being crushed, I think I would have a slightly more positive attitude about things, but who knows, maybe not.

12 days until my due date...

No comments:

Post a Comment