Wednesday, November 18, 2009

So wise

While I've never been one to read women's magazines for the sage advice, a recent interview with Michelle Obama in Glamour had a quote that pretty much captures exactly what I wish someone had said to me years ago about men:

"Look at the heart. Look at the soul. Look at how the guy treats his mother and what he says about women. How he acts with children he doesn't know. And, more important, how does he treat you? When you're dating a man you should always feel good. You should never feel less than. You should never doubt yourself. You shouldn't be in a relationship with somebody who doesn't make you completely happy and make you feel whole."

I mean, it seems fairly obvious right? Like something we should instinctively know as women? Yet we have all at one time or another completely lost sight of this in seeking out partners, either because we thought other things were more important, like money or career choices, or maybe because we didn't believe we deserved to feel this way. Regardless, preparing to have a little girl makes me want to save thoughts like this to share with her when the time is right, maybe the day she asks me why I was so old when I got married...

No comments:

Post a Comment